June 27, 2013

JUNE 28th.....Dick and Jane Stamp.....

Hi,         
  Thanks for stopping by today and we all hope you enjoy the Stamp It Up Blog Hop .... we finish after the weekend.....so be sure to come back on Monday....you will be blessed by taking the time to visit my fellow quilters on our list for today....so creative!!! THANK YOU AGAIN.....Pig Tales and Quilts and Madame Sam  !!!
Jane had Puff and Dick had Spot!
  I debated on a few ideas for my Stamp It Up Minature Quilt....our hometown was also the home of Tell Taylor who penned "Down By The Old Millstream:....to the young folks they may have never heard that old song....but I sure did.....probably weaned on it...along with paint fumes and varnish, as my Dad owned his own painting business and also refinished furniture for folks in his Man Cave....Shop at the back of our property....he was always singing, humming...he was part of a Christian Quartet and even competed on State level and they won the top ribbon at the Ohio State Fair many many years ago.  My Dad was a friendly guy, never met a stranger and made most people comfortable in all situations.  He would strum his right ring finger with his Lodge ring on the big steering wheel of the 57 Red Ford Station Wagon, as we ran around town to check on his jobs or run to the AW Root beer stand for a "treat"....he smoked his Lucky Strike cigarettes and sang the old songs..but I didn't go that route as you can see;  I wanted to share my roots abit with this stamp.....we grew up in the 50-60's, born in 49 when stamps were very cheap....I found a 2 cent one that I liked because it blended with the other colors in the Dick and Jane photo I copied with my printer onto   photo print fabric.  I asked my hub what was it that he remembered the most as he grew up on the farm...minus raising 4H steers every year and detasslling corn by hand all summer long...or going to the public pool whenever we could.....I was raised in a big family so there were always chores to get done with Mom.....but both of us just relished our time on our bikes....riding all over town to do errands, go to the library, go to the dentist...go to 4H meeting...ride our bikes to school....it was our time away from the work that our homes poured into our lives....so, along with learning to read with Dick and Jane adventures, we both had our memories of our bikes....our anventures as Gary and Karen....we met in 9th grade, so the first time Gary walked me home from school he had his bike resting in his left arm as we strolled to my home together that wonderful month of May of '65.....so if you have taken the time to read my little romance and history of my stamp you are a trooper!! and I give you a big quilted hug!!
....please accept my photos; they are not that great....but I did enjoy making the stamp....and I love my growing up years.... I only wish most kids today had half of the joy and security that we grew up under.....pressed between the love of family and friends........God Bless!!
  I won't even go into the fact that I grew up on Cherry Street and could have done a stamp in Cherry Blossoms and called it The Cherry Street Gang......I am just sayin'.........Quilted Blessings......Karen
                         JUNE 28TH
                     Robins' Fabric Nest
                     In The Sewing Basket... Me
                     Elizabeth Coughlin Designs
                     Just Quilt It
                     Annie Oak Designs
                     Buzzing and Bumbling
                     Kris Loves Fabric
                     Cherrys Praire Primitive
                     Hanging On By A Thread
                      

51 comments:

Patty C. said...

Great stories & a lovely stamp ... enjoy the hop!

jan said...

I love your gorgeous little stamp and your childhood memories!Thank you for sharing!
jan@http://sewandsowfarm.blogspot.com/

Judy B said...

What great childhood memories and a lovely stamp! Thank you for sharing.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

What a great post and stamp! Thank you for sharing.

Anita said...

Lovely stamp!

Grammasheri said...

Loved the sweet story and the pretty stamp. Your childhood sounds very much like mine...wonderful memories! So glad you shared!

Britt-Inger said...

your stamp is so cute and a pretty story behind it.
Thanks for sharing

Tina said...

lovely!

MOMENTS Designs said...

great stamp...looks like a work of art !

Gill said...

What a great story - and I love your phrase 'pressed between the love of family and friends' - perfect!
Thank you for sharing your cute stamps!

Frederika said...

Nice story and great stamp. Thanks for sharing

charlotte said...

nice...it looks very old fashioned.

Thearica said...

I always love it when people share their memories with us.. Great stamp!

gpc said...

Your stamp is really beautiful, and filled with beautiful memories! :)

Judy Cooper Textile Artist said...

Great job! Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Your stamp is beautiful!

Sparky said...

very nice indeed....love the vintage feeling

M-R Charbonneau said...

What a great story that you've captured in your lovely stamp! Well done!

Jeanie said...

Lovely stamp! I like your quilting lines.... thanks for sharing!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

lovely stamp...lovely stories

Joanna said...

Lovely blog post about your Dad. I grew up with Dick and Jane and Sally and loved their stories.

suz said...

great job on the stamp and great stories. I'm from that era too and have fond memories of a simpler time

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Love your beautiful stamp!!

krislovesfabric said...

Love your fabric choices and your stamp is beautiful!

Linda said...

I also learned to read from the Dick and Jane series! Your stamp certainly brings back memories! Great job!

tink's mom said...

Wonderful stamp, even better memories. I'm also from the Dick and Jane era.

Unknown said...

Just love the story with the stamp..wonderful job.....

The Slow Quilter said...

Memories like the corner of my mine, and this little stamp has all the memories. Thank you for sharing your story and stamp.

Lou said...

Great stamp and such sweet memories you shared with us. Thank you:)

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

I debated about whether to say anything about this or not so please don't take this the wrong way as I am only trying to help you, but I really cannot see your photos very well. They are small and when I click on them the size does not enlarge as you have them in the light-box format. I also have a bit of trouble trying to read your font. It's a pretty font and color, but harder on the eyes to read. Please don't be upset with me for telling you these things.

I really want to like your stamp, but I just can't tell what it is as I cannot see it clearly enough.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your story. My Dad grew up in Morocco, Indiana which we visited several times when I was young. He ventured to Chicago where he met my Mom. They married and came out West to California where I was born. I still have family in the Indiana/Illinois area but don't get back there as often as I'd like. Thanks for sharing your story and your stamp project.

Agnes B. Bullock said...

WOW, this is brilliant!

Linda C said...

Lovely stamp with things that will remind you of memories that you have made, just by looking at it.

Wonderful story!

Just Quilt It said...

Great job and great stories.

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Your quilt is wonderful. Love the "Dick and Jane" stamp. Truly enjoyed reading your story. Many times I wish my grandkids could have the more carefree life I had growing up....your story reminds me of my childhood.... fun to reminisce...
Thanks for sharing.

Carol Swift said...

Such a sweet story to go along with your lovely Dick and Jane stamp. It's fun to think back to those days of less pressure. :O)

Lisa said...

Very interesting

Mary said...

Your stamp turned out really cute.
great job.

vicki said...

Thanks for sharing your story and stamp. Great memories.

Emily C said...

Lovely stamp. I'm sure if you had picked cherry blossoms, that would be just as lovely.

Leslie said...

Too many ideas, not enough time. Love your sharing and your darling quilt.

Jane's Quilting said...

Oh, so cute, I just love the fabric.

Patty said...

Great colors - thanks for sharing!

Marcy said...

Darling. Nice story.

maggie said...

Love the stamp, very clever and well done. Loved reading about your Dad. Lovely memories.
cheers
maggie
maggiemine42@gmail.com

Catherine said...

Your stamp is wonderful! I just love it, and enjoyed your family history. That was fun.

LJ said...

Very nicely done. Your story made the stamp personal - just the ticket!

Robin said...

Very pretty stamp!

sandra said...

Wonderful story and a beautiful stamp commemorating your childhood.

BizyStitches said...

beautiful stamp and interesting blog reading. Thanks.

Gmama Jane said...

Dick and Jane are from my childhood memories as well. I loved your precious love story...out of the pages of Mayberry. I too lived in a small town where my bike afforded me freedom to go all over town and still feel safe. Our kids today may have more gadgets but they don't have the same kind of childhood freedom we had, do they? I cherish my childhood memories.
Blessings
Gmama Jane